Tuesday, April 8, 2014

When You Mix Scientists and Bookworms

I recently loaned a book to a colleague. Previous to passing the title along, I had been raving about the book having a really cool, unexpected element (not exactly a twist but still very cool). My enjoyment of the book declined precipitously and so then I felt my previous recommendation wasn't quite right. To make all this clear, I drew a little graph on a post-it note and stuck it to the book. I figured we'd get a good laugh out of my silly graph and then it would be recycled. But, to my delight, she returned the book to me today, post-it note intact but with one small addition.


Figure 1. Enjoyment of book vs. page number.
sgwordy in black, colleague in red.


Scientists are the best!

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh, I feel like every book should have one of these graphs on it. Snookie and I recommend/review books in these terms to each other ALL THE TIME. It would be great if a book review site had this kind of (crowd-sources) reaction graph in addition to the star rating system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you pitch that idea to goodreads and their membership triples I hope you get some big bucks. :) Also, I now want to see some graphs a la Beth and Snookie!

    ReplyDelete