Monday, September 5, 2011

Reading Roundup

I haven't done a reading roundup since May!! So it appears that as summer passes us by I continue to eschew my digital life for my outdoor life. To show for it I have a horse capable of suspension at the trot. For many horses this is not that big a deal but for a horse with my horse's conformation it is exciting indeed. Hurrah for unexpected talents. I might even get around to doing some Dressage Tests this Fall. And speaking of Dressage, if you haven't seen Moorlands Totilas you ought to.

But I'm here about books. Because the list will be long, I'm dividing them by my enjoyment level (leaving out books that I've done full posts on or that have been or will be posted at Sacramento Book Review).

For details on my enjoyment level here's the link again on how I dole out stars.

5 stars -

N/A

4 stars -

Shibumi by Trevanian (highly recommended)
The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian
Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh
The Main by Trevanian
Dawn by Octavia E. Butler (highly recommended)
Adulthood Rites by Octavia E. Butler
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (highly recommended)

3 stars -

The Loo Sanction by Trevanian (recommended)
Shadow Chaser by Alexey Pehov
Imago by Octavia E. Butler (recommended)
The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer
Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie
Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer
Black Moth by Georgette Heyer
The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer (recommended)
False Colours by Georgette Heyer
Arabella by Georgette Heyer (recommended)
The Vagrants by Yiyun Li

2 stars -

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
--This is the top of my list for an actual post and I hope to discuss it with the SBD folks.

The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
Whirlwind by Joseph R. Garber
The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer
Powder and Patch by Georgette Heyer

1 star -

N/A

Unrated -

False Angel by Edith Layton
--I can't stomach a hero that strikes the heroine. Remove this and this book is fantastic. Keep it and I can't forget it. (Plus it was totally out of character.) Anyone else have something that will immediately ruin a book?

DNF -

Louisiana: The First 300 Years by Joan B. Garvey
--Not rigorous enough in its research and presentation.

The Proud Breed: A Three-Generation Saga of California
by Celeste De Blasis
--Too dated in its sentiments.

The Spanish Bride by Georgette Heyer
--Turns out I really don't care about troop movements.

Red Glove by Holly Black
--You're better off reading White Cat again.


I hope to report soon on the book review sites being up again and with that I'll include a few more books that I had for review.


What have you been reading lately over the past few months?

4 comments:

  1. re: Spanish Bride. I couldn't read that particular Heyer either.

    I never loved her mysteries. They were pretty good but they lacked the fluffy lighthearted nature of her romances. (which I think she scorned)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read the mysteries because I want Heyer for the lighthearted not dead bodies. :) I have a feeling we're reading them for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Interesting story but it's hard to get into a book when you're not really intrigued by or rooting for any of the characters.

    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Much better. Completely implausible story and ending, but it was a fun read that grabbed me quickly and held my attention.

    Currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. The writer keeps switching styles so it's a little disjointed and I'm not fully into it yet, but I think it has potential. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brooke, I've been curious for a while about the Edgar Sawtelle book. I'd love to hear what you end up thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete