Tuesday, April 10, 2012

William Hjortsberg in Electronic Format

Great news for digital book readers! 

William Hjortsberg is now available in electronic format
(Images, author quote, and excerpt provided by Open Road Integrated Media



Last year, I read Hjortsberg for the first time and enjoyed my experience with Falling Angel immensely.

Posted in Jan 2011: This story is like a perfectly served meal; the next course is ready right when you finish with the current and it's always the right temperature. This, coupled with the tone of the book, bump Falling Angel up into more than just a horror or crime story. Even when you can't explain the melancholic, bittersweet turn to Angel's narration you are immediately sucked in to his emotional state while waiting anxiously for the next clue to Favorite's whereabouts.

From this, you can probably guess that I highly recommend this mystery/horror novel.




In Nevermore, real life friends Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini are caught in a murder mystery that seems to defy non-supernatural explanation. From William Hjortsberg about the book:
Most often, story ideas are not born fully formed but come to the imagination in stages. I first learned of the friendship between Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle while researching a film project for Ray Stark. That would make a great buddy movie, I thought, even as the idea slipped from my mind. A decade later, I found myself toying with the notion once again. What I lacked was a caper. One morning, over coffee, the idea of gruesome serial killings inspired by the thrilling stories of Edgar Allen Poe came to me in a flash. A great caper but somehow not quite enough to light the fuse. Another few years passed and the final eureka moment exploded out of my subconscious while I drove down the beautiful Boulder Valley in Montana. Houdini and Conan Doyle had disagreed over the issue of spiritualism, so why not make Poe’s ghost a character in the novel? With that piece of the puzzle in place the book seemed almost to write itself.


An excerpt from Nevermore is below the cut. Enjoy!




Nevermore by William Hjortsberg (Excerpt)

1 comment: