Thursday, September 15, 2011

Books Read - Half-year Edition

Better late than never?

And, hey, doing the half-year late means we're marching right along to the big end-of-year book breakdown by genre, etc. I enjoyed reading over my selections from last year and I've already started thinking of what I'll include this year.

sgwordy's Read in 2011 list

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me is that I'm obviously leaving my 2011 reading challenge books for end of the year holidays. Hmmm...


Half-year Results -


Best fiction: Tie!
Shibumi by Trevanian
The Known World by Edward P. Jones

Best non-fiction*:
Dark Alliance by Gary Webb

Favorite author discovered this year:
Trevanian

Most re-read book first read this year:
A couple Georgette Heyer books go here. They're short, cute, and comforting when I read a couple duds in a row or a book that leaves me emotionally wrung out.


* I read so much non-fiction that I enjoyed that I'd like to list a few more titles I recommend:
Moneyball by Michael Lewis
Native American Son by Mary Buford
Reality is Broken by Jane McGonagel



What's your favorite book so far this year?

3 comments:

  1. Best Fiction: Tie!
    Hell is Empty by Craig Johnson
    Plugged by Eion Colfer

    Best Non-Fiction: Tie!
    The Drunkard’s Walk – How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Miodinow
    Sun Tzu at Gettysburg by Bevin Alexander

    Favorite author discovered this year: Eion Colfer

    • unfortunately, I don't have time to re-read first read book, but I still re-read L.A. Requiem (and love it even more)
    • novel with the greatest sucker punch this year: The Dramatist by Ken Bruen (read it in February and I doubt anything is going to usurp it); if you start the Jack Taylor series, do it in order to get the real effect
    • best new series I started this year: Walter Mosley's Leonid McGill

    Thanks, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Babe!
    Long time no talk.
    I am fascinated by how organized you are in making an annual rated list and everything, and even more fascinated by how our book tastes either seem to coincide or swing wildly apart. I gave "In for a Penny" the full five stars, frex, while it did not even rate the default 3 position for you (I'm basing this on 3 being the usual starting out point for me with a book having to perform harder to go up or down from there). Yet we both loved 'Hundred Thousand Kingdoms' and the first Ariana Franklin medival mystery.

    Have started 'Iron Duke' with some trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - thanks for adding your own! I've been seeing Plugged around, sounds like I need to give it a chance. Suckerpunch, huh? I'm intrigued. I've been avoiding series like the plague this year (have accidentally stumbled onto a few in series books but have not pursued the series thereafter) but perhaps I should give the Taylor series a try???


    Maya - I have my grandmother to thank for keeping tabs the way I do. :) I liked her idea. Goodreads helps me, as well.

    I, too, have noticed some of our book tastes being wildly different. I do not have a default starting point of 3. I think we discussed this briefly before so sorry if repeat but a book gets a 3 from me if I think "people who like this kind of book will like this" but I will quick to go down to a 2, less quick to go up to a 4. I hope I am of the "tough love" school of thought and not the "whiny, bitchy, hater" school of thought. :)

    Can't wait to hear what you think of IRON DUKE.

    ReplyDelete