Sunday, July 24, 2011

June/July Book Reviews

The Sacramento and San Francisco Book Reviews have switched to a bi-monthly production schedule. The digital issues aren't out quite yet but you can click on over here for a slough of book reviews. Or check out mine at the links below.

A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin

Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Satori by Don Winslow

Your Friendly Neighborhood Criminal by Michael Van Rooy



It saddens me to add that both Ms. Franklin and Mr. Van Rooy passed away this year.

2 comments:

  1. I adored the rakish pirate guy who is rebuffed in love but performs miracles anyway in 'A Murderous Procession'!

    Your review was very moderate, kindly not mentioning the headdesking moment of WTH the heroine engages in with disastrous results. I couldn't believe it when she did the equivalent of walking alone into the woods in a teenage slasher movie. The good part was - I'd totally fallen for the red herrings and was surprised by the revelation of the killer.

    Was that really the last installment? Did the author have another volume in the pipeline for fans of the series, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That review was very hard to write for me which is probably why it ended up so moderate. I have the hardest time writing reviews for books in a series when the series has not lived up to the first installment. I want to fault the book but then I wonder if it's fair to review a book in the shadow of another title. I feel I end up essentially writing a non-review because I can't get a real one figured out... sigh! It's hard to separate personal feelings from objective analysis. ;-)

    Regarding more books I have heard nothing. If her publishing schedule is any indication I would guess there is another title finished or almost finished. However, her time before her death may not have been typical. Maybe we will see some announcements.

    ReplyDelete