Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April/May Book Reviews

The Sacramento and San Francisco Book Reviews have switched to a bi-monthly production schedule. The digital issue of the Sacramento Book Review can be found here or you can click on over here for a slough of book reviews.

(Links active for all my past reviews if you're just dying to revisit some older posts/reviews.)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal

Romanov Riches by Solomon Volkov

Slow Cooker Revolution from America's Test Kitchen



Links will be updated as they come online but Reality is Broken is my first "everyone must-read" of 2011 and that review is in the digital issue linked above (towards the end in the Science & Nature section). I'll be posting about it again later because it's that awesome and I don't have word count limits here...wordy being part of the advertising and all...



What have you been reading lately?

4 comments:

  1. Just finished Walter Mosley's The Long Fall (which, now that you've explained it, doesn't fall into the trap of a 'default' characterization you noted in your FREE FALL review). I'm back with Walt Longmire for JUNKYARD DOGS by Craig Johnson (narrator George Guidall is awesome in this audiobook series), at the moment. Thanks, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started up Shibumi this week. Having narrator issues but am holding off as I have sneaking suspicion that part of my problem has to do with a deliberate choice in response to the writing. After listening to more I will be coming to you with my sneaking suspicion to see what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Will have to investigate Reality is Broken on Goodreads as I've not clue what it is and therefore, how it might be fixed.

    I'm taking my girl on her first airplane ride to a cousin's wedding in a tiny village in the Bavarian mountains. Yes, she will be wearing a traditional dirndl (see: Sound of Music) with embroidered apron and all for the ceremony. The only not-quite-traditional part is that she was inspired by the royal wedding and will have a fascinator perched on the side of her head, an enormous red daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey M - Your comment showed up in my inbox but not here...and I checked blogger's SPAM but can't find it, ugh!

    Anyway, Reality is Broken is about video games/gamers and what gaming does for people and how gamers are uniquely positioned to solve complex, real world problems. It's awesome and McGonigal is a great writer.

    Your trip sounds so lovely! I am jealous and wishing you much fun and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete