Monday, February 7, 2011

"Like I'm the only one who knows your heart"

Rihanna Gets Romance
presented by sgwordy

As one who enjoys novels full of Romance I am constantly amazed at the forgiving nature of Romance readers, ok, actually I am more annoyed at this wonderful characteristic as I feel it allows for too much crap in the genre making the good stuff harder to find. But while trying to be amazed instead of annoyed I think on why this is. What is it about Romance that is so appealing that many readers will forgo what I feel are basic requirements for a decent experience while reading a book? Luckily that answer came to me via the magic of radio and my local top40 station (emphasis mine):

Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only girl in the world...
Like I'm the only one that's in command
Cause I'm the only one who understands how to make you feel like a man, yeah
Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world
Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love
Like I'm the only one who knows your heart
Only one...


It's vanity! What could be more fantastical and satisfying to the ego than being the one single human in the world that causes another to say, "This one! This is the one who really knows me and really knows the person that I actually want to be. This one has made me see my true self and has made me want to open the door to that true self! This one, out of all 6 billion, is the only one who could ever allow me to be the perfect me (and we'll have mind-blowing orgasms together)!"

Eureka!

And while I am making such sweeping statements I may as well illustrate how useless sweeping statements are: this is not why I like Romance so it's sort of ridiculous for me to say it's what Romance readers like. BUT! I am going to say it's what all the readers who keep buying (and so encouraging) the crap Romance like.

And so that you too can be educated by Rihanna here is Only Girl (In the World)
(I try to focus on the catchy beat and ignore the video)

No comments:

Post a Comment