Monday, January 10, 2011

Inspiration

The time of year during which we Americans honor one of our most inspiring citizens is soon to be upon us. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is only one week away. Many choose to honor his memory by volunteering. One day out of the year is great but more days out of the year are even better. If you've ever thought of volunteering I encourage you to seek out opportunities where you live. My tid bit of advice is to find something that is personally important to you; you'll be an agent for change in your community and find the work personally satisfying if it aligns with your priorities and goals.

Reading is a huge part of what I do for personal enjoyment (surprise, surprise!) but being literate is a vital requirement for an active, engaged and happy life. Volunteering with my county's adult literacy program has extra meaning for me when I think of what my life would be like without the ability to read.

And, who knows, if you find something you care about you just might find yourself part of a journey as remarkable as this one. I can only imagine how inspiring it must be to know this dedicated learner.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that volunteering is rewarding, on multiple levels. I have had two volunteer positions lead to full time work, not to mention some lasting friendships.

    And: Thanks, Mr. King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, it is important to give back!

    ReplyDelete