Saturday, December 11, 2010

Criminal Plots Reading Challenge

ETA: Erm... I just flat out bailed on this. It will now be my 2012 reading challenge. 

I have no inherent aversion to book challenges but they are so often focused on one genre and I prefer to approach books like a 6yo in a candy store: total free-for-all! Well, Jen's got her challenge just right, if I do say so myself (and I do!), so I'm joining this challenge for 2011. What is most appealing to me are her creative rules and that it is only 6 books over the coarse of the year. I can easily intersperse other genres while still keeping up with the challenge.

A link to this post will be under "SG Links" on the sidebar if you are interested in checking back as my picks are filled in and completed.

Included below are the details from the Criminal Plots Reading Challenge and my picks.


So, what's involved in this challenge you ask? It isn't too difficult. It involves reading six books throughout 2011 (January 1 through December 31, 2011). One book should be read that fits into each of the following categories:

1. A book by a new to you author who's blurbed a book you enjoyed. So check out the cover of a crime fiction book you've enjoyed and see who blurbed that book and is also an author you've never read before.

sgwordy's pick: The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman
inspiration for the pick: his blurby goodness can be found on L.A. Requiem
date finished:
reviewed here:

2. A book that has been made into a movie. It doesn't have to be a movie you've seen but it can be. The book, however, should be one you haven't read before.

sgwordy's pick: L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy
inspiration for the pick: i've always wanted to read this book and Jen listing it as an example reminded me of that.
date finished:
reviewed here: 

3. A book with a protagonist opposite your own gender. So if you're female, the protagonist should be male; if you're male the protagonist should be female.

sgwordy's pick: A Red Death by Walter Mosley
inspiration for the pick: it's really easy to find male protags in crime fiction so I wanted to add my own additional requirement of the protag being of a different race than me. i've been wanting to read some more of the Easy Rawlins series so I chose from that series.
date finished:
reviewed here: 

4. A book set outside the country in which you live.

sgwordy's pick: The Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza
inspiration for the pick: i read tons of books set outside the US but they are almost always set on the same three continents. i looked for a setting on a continent outside of the three.
date finished:
reviewed here: 

5. A book that's the first in a new-to-you series.

sgwordy's pick: One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
inspiration for the pick: even though my neighbor has given up on the series (16 books now or something?) she remembers the early ones fondly and keeps telling me they are funny. i like a good laugh so here we go
date finished: January 30, 2011

reviewed here:

6. A book by a 2011 debut author.

sgwordy's pick:
inspiration for the pick:
date finished:
reviewed here:

No comments:

Post a Comment