Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September Book Reviews

If you're not located in an area where you can pick up this month's Sacramento Book Review or San Francisco Book Review click on over here for a slough of book reviews. If you're specifically interested in what yours truly reviewed for this month, here are the links: 


A History of the Philippines: From Indios Bravos to Filipinos by Luis Francia

Forbidden Highlander by Donna Grant

Married By Morning and Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

Snakes Can't Run by Ed Lin

The Very Best of Charles de Lint by Charles de Lint

White Cat by Holly Black


And in case it's not immediately obvious, all books provided by Sac/SF Book Review 



What have you been reading lately?

4 comments:

  1. ed lin here. thank you so much for your kind words for 'snakes can't run'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank YOU so much for a great book! I really enjoyed it and was lamenting the 200 word limit for the review. It's hard to boil a great read down to so few words.

    I also just noticed on your calendar that you'll be in NorCal later this year. I'm marking my calendar for your Nov. 6 visit (and I suggest that folks around these parts do the same:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Babe!
    I'm back again, this time for a good stretch as school starts next week and there will be no long cottage stretches till winter break.

    So awesome that you are open to beta reading. I'll send you some deets by email so you can consider your next move if any. No pressure.

    I also LURVED Bourne's book 1 and didn't like book 2 as much, though it was still much better than the average historical romance. I liked book 3 I think just as much as book 1, but I'm not sure if it was partly because of long, long Bourne deprivation in the meantime (she's like my other must-buy author, Loretta Chase, in taking her time about writing). I gave SL 5 stars partly because of stellar writing, partly because I hadn't seen the big 'Gotcha!' moment coming though it was so skillfully led up to, partly because it contained what has become one of my favorite quotes. From Doyle: 'God's avenging chickens!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya! I'll look for your email...

    That line of Doyle's really is awesome. I'm still working out how to connect it with another awesome chicken line I read this year (We will eat the chicken now!) but, alas, it has not happened.

    I'm still trying to get my hands on Book 3 so we'll see how it goes. I wonder what she's working on now...

    ReplyDelete