Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Reading List

BBC believes the majority of people will have only read 6 of the 100 books here.

After a two (mby three) minute search I couldn’t find actual BBC confirmation of this and then I lost interest.


Instructions:
1) Look at the list and put an 'x' after those you have read.
2) Add a '+' to the ones you LOVE.
3) Star (*) those you plan on reading.
4) Tally your total at the bottom.

I’m not so much interested in these instructions so I am just going to put comments after each title.

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
One of my all time favorite novels
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
A great fantasy trilogy that I have read more than once
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
How can you not like a book that uses the phrase “furniture of the mind”
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
Yep to all 7
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Had to read this one in high school and I thought it was good
6 The Bible
Yep, couple of times
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
This book invented melodrama and I love it!
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
Do it to Julia!!!! Got to love that!
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
Been thinking about giving these a read…
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
I read this in college and thought it was crap til the last chapter – then I loved it
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
I did read this but have never understood the appeal…
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
One Hardy book was enough for me and I’ve heard this is quite a slog
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
I love this book and have read it twice
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
Not complete but quite a few, love some…am indifferent to others…
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
I don’t know anything about this book
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
Yes and I like it but not as much as the Rings trilogy
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
Haven’t heard of this…
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
I can’t remember, I get Salinger’s books confused as they don’t seem to make an impression
19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Just read this last week, bang-up first half but the second half wasn’t any fun
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
Nope
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
A couple times actually. I think it was my first 1000+ pager
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
Yes, love this one!
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
Haven’t read it but I seem to recall that it’s very long…probably not cheery either…
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Nope
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Keep meaning to…
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
Haven’t heard of this one…
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Nope
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Ugh! Steinbeck…tried this and another and yech!
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Nope but I hear it’s worth a read
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
Nope
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Nope
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Nope
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
Can’t seem to muster any excitement about these…
34 Emma - Jane Austen
Yep though it’s my least favorite Austen
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
For sure, love this one!
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
See 33
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Yes
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
Is this more interesting than it sounds? I read the back at the lib. and wasn’t interested
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Yep
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
Nope
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
Love this one!
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Yep
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Nope
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
I really enjoyed this one, esp the ex-American jokes, they made me giggle
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
Haven’t heard of this one
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
Yep
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
See 12 (it was Jude the Obscure that I read if you’re curious)
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
Love love love this book!
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Yep
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
Yep
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
BEST BOOK I’VE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
Ooooh I love this one and just re-read it a couple months ago
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
Don’t think so but it sounds so familiar…
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Yep
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
Nope
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Yep and what a random story
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Love this book!
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Nope
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
A very good one!
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Nope
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Yep and ugh again!
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
No, but I’ve been meaning to
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
Nope
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
I own this but haven’t read it yet
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
I love Dumas and this is my favorite!!!!
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
Yep but I’m not a fan of the beat writers
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
Aaack! Here it is! Yes, but total crap.
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding
LUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRVE IT!
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
Nope
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Have tried twice but can’t get through this boring tome
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Nope
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
Yes and I love it!
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Yep
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
Nope, just can’t get into Bryson….have tried several times…
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
Nope
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Nope
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
Huh?
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
Nope
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
Yes but I didn’t like it much. Very average…surprised it has kept up its popularity
80 Possession - AS Byatt
Nope
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
Nope
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchel
Nope
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Nope
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
Had planned on it but then didn’t like some of his other stuff so skipped it
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Nope
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
Nope
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White
Yep
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
This book is total shit and I can’t believe someone actually suggested I read it. Jerk!!!!
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Nope
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
Nope
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Don’t think so…
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Have been meaning to…
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
Haven’t heard of this…
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
Nope
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Yes but I remember very little from it…need a quick refresher…
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Nope
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
Yes and it’s so much fun!!!!
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
What’s with the repeats??? Loooooooooove Hamlet!
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
I don’t think so but can’t remember…
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
Not a Hugo fan so skipped this one.

48 out of 100

No comments:

Post a Comment